Problem playing ET on mac - SOLVED and TUTORIAL

You have a problem with your PC? TV? Fridge?
Tell us about it and we'll try to help you.

Problem playing ET on mac - SOLVED and TUTORIAL

Postby ETc|Pl0p » 16 Dec 2017, 22:14

Hi everyone !

Context : I'm currently playing on an 10yo computer and I'm a bit sick of it. I've built a workstation lately, running MacOs and I thought it might be a good idea to run ET on it.

So, well, I installed it, in both directories (App and Library) and the game almost runs fine. The matter is that when I'm on the server, the nitmod one, my game crashes. I know tons of mods aren't supported in ETlegacy for mac and I guess Nitmod is one of them. Does anyone here have a clue or a solution ?

After looking for the problem, I've been reading that ET may only be able to show a certain amount of particles (like bullets, explosions) and once this amount is full, the game crashes (on a few mods like nitmod).

I'll try to attach a crash log as soon as I can.

What I used :

Hackintosh MacOs High Sierra, all drivers are up to date, ETlegacy (latest version) and wolf ET 2.60d for the pk3 files and files from my usual profile (cfg, ETkey, maps).

Another player, whose name is Mammu, had the same issue and Sexy told me someone over here, maybe Rosebud ?, manages to play.

Thanks guys for reading and, I hope, for the help :D

Cheers,
Florian.
Last edited by ETc|Pl0p on 17 Dec 2017, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
ETc|Pl0p
ETc| Member

Re: Problem playing ET on mac

Postby ETc|I_Still_Sexy » 17 Dec 2017, 11:05

I honestly dont know anything about mac but try this maybe it seem to be able to run any version of et so I would suggest you try 2.6b
https://www.reddit.com/r/EnemyTerritory ... l_capitan/
ETc|I_Still_Sexy

Postby ETc|Pl0p » 17 Dec 2017, 12:52

I'll give it a try on the afternoon and let ya know :) Thanks :)
ETc|Pl0p
ETc| Member

Postby ETc|Pl0p » 17 Dec 2017, 16:34

ALRIGHT ! Thanks to Sexyness, that tip works :D

So, for all other potential Mac Users, here is the way to go !

1. Download PlayonMac App and a ET installation for WINDOWS (I chose, as Sexy suggested 2.60b)
2. Open up PlayonMac.dmg. Just copy the app to your Applications Folder.
3. Now you can launch it, it will ask you to download and install XQuartz. Do it !
4. Now that everything's fine. Try to install the game by clicking on Install a game (left panel) then follow the instructions. At the beginning, you'll be asked to create a virtual Windows, choose 32bits or 64bits according to your system.
5. IF IT DOESN'T WORK, saying Wine crashes, which happened to me :
- In playonmac main menu, click on config or settings, go to Configurate Wine and download from there the latest one, x86 if you're on 32bits or amd64 if you're on 64bits.
- then, go to your ET setup.exe and run it. Playonmac should run it straight away, if not, Right click, Read the info, and set playonmac as your default application for .exe files.
- it should be good by now.
6. ENJOY the game !

7. EXTRA : Copying your files into your ET folder : as Playonmac emulates a windows environment for games, you won't find ET folder directly on your hdd. To find it, open up PlayonMac, as ET is installed by now, you can see the icon in the software. Click it once, then click on 'Open the folder' in the left panel, Finder will open your ET folder.
ETc|Pl0p
ETc| Member

Return to Technical support