little help please

You have a problem with your PC? TV? Fridge?
Tell us about it and we'll try to help you.

little help please

Postby shrimpy » 18 Jun 2009, 02:02

well im having a bit of a problem with my pc and i dont understand in the slightest what it could be.

recently .. i will be on it .. doing nothing in particular and the screen will suddenly go black .. as though it has turned off, then it will go back to normal after a few seconds .. and whats getting even more annoying is it is occasionally turning itself off and restarting ...

any ideas of suggestions what could possibly be wrong?

p.s. the only changes i have made lately is add a 1gb ram to it to upgrade it from 512mb to 1.5gb .. dont think that would have made a difference but thought i should add it in

thanks *shrimpy*
shrimpy
ETc| Member

Re: little help please

Postby garekip » 18 Jun 2009, 07:26

make the screensaver w8 longer :P
garekip
ETc| Member

Postby ETc|Dipl Ing dEI mUDDER » 18 Jun 2009, 12:06

I had something similar once and the noticed that a fan had gone on my mainboard. after a while my sound didnt work anymore i repaired it and its all working fine! So maybe chek temperatures / fans and stuff.
ETc|Dipl Ing dEI mUDDER
ETc| Member

Postby shrimpy » 18 Jun 2009, 12:38

garekip wrote:make the screensaver w8 longer :P

screen saver is disabled lol

ETc|Dipl Ing dEI mUDDER wrote:I had something similar once and the noticed that a fan had gone on my mainboard. after a while my sound didnt work anymore i repaired it and its all working fine! So maybe chek temperatures / fans and stuff.

ok thanks its worth a shot ... im thinking i may have knocked something (like a fan) out of place when i installed the new ram .. i will have to open it up and take a look :|
shrimpy
ETc| Member

Postby garekip » 18 Jun 2009, 13:46

When you put extra stuff in your computer it could be that the fans are to weak
theres a program to watch your fans and the temps but idk where to get it anymore
garekip
ETc| Member

Postby ETc|rosebud » 01 Jul 2009, 14:02

occasionally i run into same issues on my laptop when playing et; my fan is not able to cool down my cpu/gpu(definitely when its 30°c outside) ;
now i use TPFanControl (http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html) to monitor and superboost my fan, however sometimes still doing 105°c on my gpu with ET ;-)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
ETc|rosebud
ETc| Member

{ IMAGES }: 0

Postby ETc|#.Jay.# » 01 Jul 2009, 18:10

ETc|rosebud wrote:occasionally i run into same issues on my laptop when playing et; my fan is not able to cool down my cpu/gpu(definitely when its 30°c outside) ;
now i use TPFanControl (http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html) to monitor and superboost my fan, however sometimes still doing 105°c on my gpu with ET ;-)

make me a soup lol 105°c is enough i think
ETc|#.Jay.#
ETc| Member

{ IMAGES }: 553

Postby Frog# » 10 Oct 2009, 03:27

How many DIMM slots do you have (the ones where you plug your RAM)??

Was it one 1024 RAM or 2 512 RAMs?

What happened with old RAM is it still plugged in?
When Hulk is geting angry hes becoming green. Im all the time green...
Frog#

Postby shrimpy » 10 Oct 2009, 14:51

this is a very old post, i did have 2 dimm slots, 1 containing a 1gb ram and the other a 512mb, there was too much ram for the system to handle, reason it shut itself off .. as soon as i removed the old 512mb and kept the 1gb in, the pc worked fine, doesnt really matter now, had a new pc since then, but thanks :)

*shimpy*
shrimpy
ETc| Member

Postby Frog# » 10 Oct 2009, 16:59

:ugeek: You cant plug in 2(or more) different RAM in your pc :D what is type of your motherboard? :geek:
When Hulk is geting angry hes becoming green. Im all the time green...
Frog#

Return to Technical support