Enemy Territory released as Open Source

All things related to Enemy Territory game. Maps, mods, scripts etc.

Enemy Territory released as Open Source

Postby donmichelangelo » 17 Aug 2010, 01:38

Hey Guys & Girls,

as some of you may know the person John Carmack, the uber-brain at id Software, gave the "Yes" to release the RTCW and Enemy Territory Source Code to the public under the GPL licence while the QuakeCon 2010.

What does this mean for us?
At first bugs and exploits will be found in the engine code and at last we will probably see also more hacks on our server.

That's certainly bad for all of us legit players but this news does also imply some positive things.
Due to the release of the source code its possible that we get:

- W:ET Patches which are fixing known bugs and exploits
- Patches which bring us great improvements like better netcode and ogg support
- An entire new designed W:ET with a new and fresh and funky looking renderer like the Xreal Renderer

The negative side could be that everyone then is using another version of ET and the players won't be able to join other servers, so I hope that 1 or 2 projects will emerge and become popular so that we don't run into a ET versions problem.

So how are the news from the front?
Since 1 year is a possible sucessor in the pipelines called "Axis Revenge". This game will use the Xreal Engine but so far are no ingame pictures, videos or a even a demo of the game available.
It's also a question of time when someone else will try to make a new ET, because since the entire code is released everyone could make a new ET.

We will also see an ioWolfET port by the ioQuake maintainer. All overall it will support the features which ioQuake does provide and probably new ones. The existent ones are:

* Ports to new platforms
* Off-server data downloads (http redirection) via HTTP and FTP with cURL
* OpenAL sound rendering allowing for surround (5.1 and 7.1) speaker layouts and generally improved sound
quality. Especially on the Windows Vista Operating System.
* Ogg Vorbis audio decoding.
* In-engine VOIP support, with optional Mumble player-location support.
* IPV6 Networking. We’re ready to frag on the net of the future!
* SDL backend for the OpenGL context, window management, and input. This also improves portability.
* Anaglyph stereo rendering (for viewing with 3D glasses)
* Full x86-64 architecture support
* Rewritten PowerPC JIT compiler, with ppc64 support
* New SPARC JIT compiler, with support for both sparc32 and sparc64
* Compilation with MinGW and cross-compilation for Windows from Linux
* Improved console command auto-completion
* Persistent console command history
* Improved QVM (Quake Virtual Machine) tools
* Colored terminal output on POSIX operating systems
* GUID System
* Multiuser support on Windows systems (user-specific game data is stored in their respective Application Data folders)
* PNG format support for textures
* Numerous security fixes

Back to Xreal...

I wanna show you some "eye-candies" by the Xreal Renderer which will be merged into the ET source code:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5NQ1iT ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOMFcp6 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWkhyIeE ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8gBWo-miHQ
http://xreal-project.net/?page_id=3/map ... surrection

If no game studio is able to develope an official ET sucessor, we gonna do it on our own :D

Appendix:
http://xreal-project.net/
http://www.iowolfet.org/
http://www.axisrevenge.com/
donmichelangelo
ETc| Member

Re: Enemy Territory released as Open Source

Postby HiPHoPeR <3 » 17 Aug 2010, 06:18

:$
HiPHoPeR <3

Postby donmichelangelo » 17 Aug 2010, 12:11

HiPHoPeR <3 wrote::$

All overall this is some great news for all of us, so you have no reason to make bizarr smilie :lol:

We will finally get an improved graphic engine with dolby surround sound, tiny soundpacks (and not like before 20mb soundpacks), voice over ip, an entity fix so that maps like base race wont crash the server anymore and much much more nice things.

The cons:
No PB Support anymore, the community will have to find a new sort of anti-cheat protection
donmichelangelo
ETc| Member

Postby HiPHoPeR <3 » 17 Aug 2010, 13:57

donmichelangelo wrote:At first bugs and exploits will be found in the engine code and at last we will probably see also more hacks on our server

i just hate it. :$ ^^

there is a new anti cheat protection. [S]PEED[L]INK [A]NTI[C]HEAT TOOL (SLAC).
But its not finished and atm ETPRO only. No Punkbuster enabled Servers but with Slac.

Dont know much about that just that is only ETPRO and im not sure that the Guy who made it will make it fore more Mods.

Greetings

Hopper
HiPHoPeR <3

Postby ETc|w00t! » 17 Aug 2010, 14:05

donmichelangelo wrote:We will finally get an improved graphic engine with dolby surround sound, tiny soundpacks (and not like before 20mb soundpacks), voice over ip, an entity fix so that maps like base race wont crash the server anymore and much much more nice things.
Which project you mean by these words?

And about the exploits & source release: I don't think it's a situation that we should be scared off. Big piece of the code is taken straight from q3 and its source is public for a 'while' already. Besides that there is something called 'reverse engineering' that many people for sure already did about ET.

If anyone wants to develop own 'game' based on ET it should be compatible with current version IMO, so I don't have to install something new, I just connect to the server, it download what it needs and I can play.
ETc|w00t!
ETc| Member

Postby donmichelangelo » 17 Aug 2010, 14:22

HiPHoPeR <3 wrote:
donmichelangelo wrote:At first bugs and exploits will be found in the engine code and at last we will probably see also more hacks on our server

i just hate it. :$ ^^

there is a new anti cheat protection. [S]PEED[L]INK [A]NTI[C]HEAT TOOL (SLAC).
But its not finished and atm ETPRO only. No Punkbuster enabled Servers but with Slac.

Dont know much about that just that is only ETPRO and im not sure that the Guy who made it will make it fore more Mods.

Greetings

Hopper

I am actually not afraid of new cheats because it was always a cat & mouse game between the hack-coders and PB, but since 3-4 years the victory has gone to the hack-coders and for all honesty atm can just a trained pair of eyes spot cheaters and in conjunction of a demo record and /r_shownormals 1

I am more afraid of new exploits which could force a server to crash...

ETc|w00t! wrote:
donmichelangelo wrote:We will finally get an improved graphic engine with dolby surround sound, tiny soundpacks (and not like before 20mb soundpacks), voice over ip, an entity fix so that maps like base race wont crash the server anymore and much much more nice things.
Which project you mean by these words?

For example:

Axis Revenge
Even though i dont like the idea behind it, way making big story behind it (i just wanna frag) and after 1 year of planning and also probably developing phase the public still cant get to see ingame screenshots.

Otherwise I mentioned - IF YOU WOULD READ FFS :D :D :D - that Tr3b the main-developer behind Xreal will port his renderer into the WolfET Source Code.
So everything will stay the same except the graphic engine, if someone wants to change something then its up to those to produce a nice game of this "product"

ETc|w00t! wrote:And about the exploits & source release: I don't think it's a situation that we should be scared off. Big piece of the code is taken straight from q3 and its source is public for a 'while' already. Besides that there is something called 'reverse engineering' that many people for sure already did about ET.

If anyone wants to develop own 'game' based on ET it should be compatible with current version IMO, so I don't have to install something new, I just connect to the server, it download what it needs and I can play.

With the exploits I agree with you or quod vide my answer on hoppers post.

We will have to see what the future will bring to us. I can fairly imagine that we will run into compatiblitie troubles
donmichelangelo
ETc| Member

Postby $haTerHanD » 17 Aug 2010, 14:57

nice .. it will bump that game to one of most playing game...
yeah anti - cheat tool .. i think its not a big deal to edit it in diff mods , we will see what come throw

thx michel for your report
"no way is a fucking way"
ETc|Head|Ache|
$haTerHanD
ETc| Member

Postby QpiD » 24 Aug 2010, 09:05

uber Geek this is partly chinese :D

but i got it, it s nice and not nice in a way LoL
nemo saltat sobrius
QpiD
ETc| Member

Postby donmichelangelo » 26 Aug 2010, 13:36

QpiD wrote:uber Geek this is partly chinese :D

but i got it, it s nice and not nice in a way LoL

是的正是唧唧歪歪喇嘛

I will perhaps release nightly builds of the new engine code, compiling and packaging script is already done, I just have to fix a bug.
For the normal players this isnt necessary but it shows at least a tech-stage for the curious freaks under us as well as for mappers and modelers.
donmichelangelo
ETc| Member

Postby Reefermadness » 03 Sep 2010, 17:45

I can't wait to see a new ET with improved graphics like that, just awesome :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Great shot!
Reefermadness
ETc| Member

Postby QpiD » 03 Sep 2010, 20:40

qpid is stupid need to talk tits pussy or ass or i dont understand :D :lol:
nemo saltat sobrius
QpiD
ETc| Member

Postby QpiD » 03 Sep 2010, 20:40

shit so early and talking dumb things Oo
nemo saltat sobrius
QpiD
ETc| Member

Postby donmichelangelo » 11 Sep 2010, 14:34

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I decide now to compile a nightly of the current ET-XreaL Engine Stage.

For who is interested and don't want to compile ET-XreaL on his own can download it here:
http://michaelseevogel.de/stuff/et-xreal-20100911.zip

Before you start et-xreal i recommened to read the first_steps.txt!

Here are a few new commands in ET that enable the XreaL Renderer features (though there are a few more):

r_hdrRendering "1"
r_bloom "1"
donmichelangelo
ETc| Member

Return to Enemy Territory