WHAT CONFIG IS and HOW to ADD COLORS TO YOUR NAME

All things related to Enemy Territory game. Maps, mods, scripts etc.

WHAT CONFIG IS and HOW to ADD COLORS TO YOUR NAME

Postby aalleexx » 20 Mar 2020, 13:23

For those who is playing for a while but never take a chance or the desire to check for more. Just the extreme beginner friendly user guide to WHAT CONFIG IS and HOW to ADD COLORS TO YOUR NAME

First.

This game have CONFIG

Config its a file that’s in your folder that have saved with all the settings and options you select for your game, starting with your name, the volume of the sound, sensitivity of the mouse end ending with some advanced settings which often are even not know by advanced users.

And most of this settings can be change by a command input from the console.

Just from what could be the first thing interesting for a player….but the nickname

The command for nickname changing is – > NAME

open console with \
type --> name yournickname

if you have a complex name like I AM PINK use “” → it will be \name “I AM PINK” so it includes all the words you are composing your name.

Change color. The console recognize the symbol ^ as the input for color change, and the numbers with letters as type of color you want to select

^1 - > red
^2 - > green

etc etc etc

the symbol ^ and the number or the letter you type immediately after will not appear in you name (you will see it in console while typing but in game It will be normal)

example for I AM PINK in pink will be --→ /name “^vI AM PINK”

example for red and green name will be → /name “^1I AM ^2PINK”

try your self for combinations

You have to save your effort.

Open console, type /writeconfig filename – Enter

Ex: /writeconfig iampink

it will save in to file (filename) all you’ve done to your config

Then to recall it back type in console exec filename

Ex: /exec filename – Enter

If you have some difficulties for command, how exactly to type them, type a partial command and press TAB, the console will show you all the command with that combination of letter.

Ex: write[TAB] and it will show you writeconfig

If you type com[TAB] it will show you all the commands starting with COM and you find out ther’s many of them

note: some commands are cheat protected so not all of them can be changed, but many can be. For CFG you can find many cfgs in this forum.

Consider that, the CFG is mostly used for configure you game better for your PC capabilities and your connection. Also many players simplify graphics effects to see better, to kill better :) But many don't care about it and play full cfg with blood effect, blind effect, explosions etc.

So, when you copy the CFG of some other player take in consideration the resolution he play at, sensitivity he using, connection type he using, graphics capacity he can output with his video card, or maybe he’s playing on laptop, etc, etc.

Next. The config have a place in your PC its an in game FOLDER

for those who use ETLegacy, probably (if they didn't change the folder destination during the installation) the in game files are in DOCUMENTS/ETLegacy/

For normal ET users, probably its in (if they didn't change the folder destination during the installation) Programs/Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

(for NITMODE you have the folder NITMODE and all the game files for that mode, including the CFG are saved in the NITMODE folder)

The config files are saved with CFG extension and they appear like –> namefile.cfg

You can open them with TXT editor.

To make the game see the file, you have to be careful and save them after editing with CFG extension and not like a normal text file. The game will not recognize the file if it have .doc .txt .rtf .odt or any other format but CFG format.

You can find the link for all the commands with explanation here https://www.clan-etc.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3520. Some of consideration on how make ET perform better https://www.clan-etc.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3950.

For this brief guide I stop here, or it will become to much thing to read and start to be boring.

Enjoy

P.S. sorry for my Eng, Google translator helped me, hope you get all of what I try to write down.

A brief add on.

By default your game create a config file named autoexec.cfg that include your settings. If you want wipe out all your settings, just find that file in the folder and cancel it. It will turn back all to default.

And for XP. Your server LVL and XP are memorized in file called nitkey.dat in Nitmode folder. If you save it aside and want to reinstall your game or have a new PC, just copy the old file in to a new fresh installation and you have your XP and LVL back as it was. NOTE: if your new LVL or XP or both are better, maybe don’t do it :)
aalleexx

Re: WHAT CONFIG IS and HOW to ADD COLORS TO YOUR NAME

Postby M.I.T. » 21 Mar 2020, 03:55

thx bro for your nice explanation and your english is much better than mine so no problem everything is ready and clear :w: :yeah:
M.I.T.

Re: WHAT CONFIG IS and HOW to ADD COLORS TO YOUR NAME

Postby Bartosz_AG » 21 Mar 2020, 20:43

Wow, big clear and helpfull guide :D Great job m8! :)
Bartosz_AG
ETc| Member

Return to Enemy Territory