The Philosophy of Anger

Talk about anything you want...

The Philosophy of Anger

Postby Tau » 19 Feb 2012, 11:42

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.~ Hanlon's Razor

Sadly, I have noticed in the past few years that occasionally people get upset and angry in game. People get mad by the things others say, or the things they do. Of course, there is nothing “wrong” with getting angry, i.e. it is a natural thing; the main is not that people get angry, but that they change when they get angry. It seems to me that they “transform” into someone else from the very own moment madness strikes. I think most of you will remember such events, sadly again – and that you don’t have to look far in the past to find examples. I’m thinking about reactions when you point a member at something he or she apparently does wrong, or - more dramatically – when someone gets kicked out of server or clan (or get his ass kicked in game). What these people do, when they get angry, is for all of us a surprise, a shock. Of course you guys notice this yourself, and complain about him or her: “if only I had known that he/she was like that”. However, what most people don’t realize is that they are victims themselves of the very same beast inside them. The very own people who are shocked, can release that beast the next day themselves. My conclusion is that people don’t know how to be angry anymore, they do not control it, and they do not understand what it means “to be angry”.

My objective here is not to form a critique (“you guys are retarded”), or to seek the very metaphysics of rage (though I would think that would be interesting too), but what I want to write here, are some insights, related to “what it is like to be angry”.

I must honestly say that I do not know what it means to be angry, but it is something like the need to express dissatisfaction about someone (by swearing I guess, how effective!), or even the wish to take revenge on the very same person. Why are you angry at someone? Because he or she is doing some bad things, acts without respect, or just is not a good person. But, the fact is that one can be mistaken about this judgment. He could have acted by ignorance, or by inattention, or he or she could just have a bad day. Nonetheless we seem to pay no attention to these factors in our judgment: we judge the person as if he was really just a bad person, acting by full consciousness. British philosopher (for this is a philosophy of anger) P.F. Strawson might clear up what is going on here. He distinguishes two kinds of attitudes towards other persons (in moral judgments): the reactive attitude and the objective attitude. As you approach the issue through a reactive attitude, you take the person seriously: whatever he has done, he did it on purpose, with full consciousness, he or she just is that kind of person. This is how most people most of the times react, and it is our natural reaction (and Strawson says it it also in a way an inevitable reaction).

There is of course no problem with the reactive attitude when that person deserves it, but the question is: does that person deserve to be angry at, or to be insulted? A very important notion here is “Moral Luck” (B. Williams, T. Nagel): Moral luck occurs when someone can be correctly treated as an object of moral judgment despite the fact that a significant aspect of what he or she has done depends on factors beyond his/her control. For example: the bad action was a result of bad luck during the day, he slipped, he fell, some failures here and there, etc.. He’s pissed and therefore reacts that way, talks that way to us. Or he’s not paying attrition because he’s lazy, tired, or sick. We, however, do not know this background, and judge him as if he is clear in his mind. This is of course a problem, because we can’t really justify that he/she must be responsible for things out of his/her control. There is however a second attitude that Strawson describes: the objective attitude. By this attitude you see the person who messed up not as an evil person, but you put the event in his context. You put it in perspective: he has not done it because he’s evil, but because he just acted plain stupid. He wasn’t looking, or her reaction was the result of a bad day (or childhood). The fact is, that in this case, you don’t get so angry anymore (there might even be some pity).

Though the first attitude is more natural, the second attitude is more “constructive” (at least in the case of anger). Therefore I advise people here to follow Hanlon's Razor in their judgment: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. “Be wise, think twice” before being angry. Next to that, think about what it means to be angry: what can possibly go right in a conversation, once you get angry? To get angry is in fact, to give up the discussion. It is no solution to be angry, because in fact, rage is the expression of the idea that you think there is no reasonable solution. “You can’t reason with him”. To think that way, however, is a bad way, especially when you’re an admin or something like that. So when you guys get angry, think about what it means to be in that state, what the hell you’re trying to achieve that way. And of course: the adversary is in first case stupid, not evil (or disrespectful, arrogant, selfish, …).

That’s all I had to say. Please no stupid comments – I’m serious(ly retarded) here. I’ll respond by an reactive attitude on these:
I’ll see them as evil, disrespectful, arrogant, selfish …
Tau
ETc| Member

Re: The Philosophy of Anger

Postby ETc|A^DARKNESS) » 19 Feb 2012, 16:06

yes tau, deep topic ,lets talk

for starts. Anger is like you said a natural reaction,so natural reactions are triggered without thought,it depends on ones strength as a human being to overcome it
Also its contagious ,ones anger can cause others to feel angry too,and also thats natural,without thought, so there really isnt any natural answer to find a solution to one of mandkinds tools, yes
and it is a usefull too in some situations as you didnt mension,thats why i signed in,
Anger can be usefull ^^
in a real life threatening situation,,anger would promote faster blood flow in your body,,and cause extra concentration on your target
for you to make a more and meaningfull accurate blow,maybe in the stoneage we needed anger to tell our primates not to fuck our woman, or eat our children, thus leading me to believe,,just like the natural instinct of "evolution",we do not accept certain things as humans,,thats why we come this far in evolution,our instincts drive us forward, Example
(paranoia) it doesnt feel good,it can be misleading,and unsocial,but the end of the line,,your safer,so we survive with these perks,no matter how they are judged,they are doing a job.
Because we have such complex brains we can very easy be 2 people 3 people or even 4 personalitys, depending on how we feel
we are problem solvers solution finders,,and anger is a settlement of feelings that can rise to public view without care for others,normally anger is an open expression of disgagreement to let others know your unhappy with your current situation,and to me,,even if it looks bad,,the fact that its being displayed without care of repercussions tells me in some ways the person venting anger is being open and honest so anger doesnt always create enemies more like "bring attention to a problem!" surely as human beings thats usefull to us,
Finaly as said, anger in people differs from one to the next,past life experiences can cause people to be less A) patient, more B)defensive,or more C) sensative,,,,Patients ? if your not patient,,you dont wanna wait? surly as human behaviour this can get things done faster
Defensive ..noone can argue that being defensive isnt good for us a human beings,this is a must for all species
Sensative , having this downfall is also beneficial, making you aware of your surroundings ,having the abilty to sense others is essential

contagious > "That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset, and when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset... PEOPLE DIE!"
ETc|A^DARKNESS)
ETc| Member

Postby Tau » 19 Feb 2012, 17:04

for starts. Anger is like you said a natural reaction,so natural reactions are triggered without thought,it depends on ones strength as a human being to overcome it
Also its contagious ,ones anger can cause others to feel angry too,and also thats natural,without thought, so there really isnt any natural answer to find a solution to one of mandkinds tools, yes
and it is a usefull too in some situations as you didnt mension,thats why i signed in,
Anger can be usefull ^^
in a real life threatening situation,,anger would promote faster blood flow in your body,,and cause extra concentration on your target
for you to make a more and meaningfull accurate blow,maybe in the stoneage we needed anger to tell our primates not to fuck our woman, or eat our children, thus leading me to believe,,just like the natural instinct of "evolution",we do not accept certain things as humans,,thats why we come this far in evolution,our instincts drive us forward, Example
(paranoia) it doesnt feel good,it can be misleading,and unsocial,but the end of the line,,your safer,so we survive with these perks,no matter how they are judged,they are doing a job.

Indeed you're right (Socrates) in saying that anger has its use. The question however is, where is this use located? Is it located on the level of the individual or the society? I guess it's useful for the individual, as you said, he'll live on. But I guess we have to think here in function of society (= the clan). Anger might be useful in a situation where there is no justice (or no leaders), so one has to stand up for himself. I guess that stage can be overcome here, so does it still have use here and now?

Because we have such complex brains we can very easy be 2 people 3 people or even 4 personalitys, depending on how we feel
we are problem solvers solution finders,,and anger is a settlement of feelings that can rise to public view without care for others,normally anger is an open expression of disgagreement to let others know your unhappy with your current situation,and to me,,even if it looks bad,,the fact that its being displayed without care of repercussions tells me in some ways the person venting anger is being open and honest so anger doesnt always create enemies more like "bring attention to a problem!" surely as human beings thats usefull to us,

Anger as "open expression of disagreement to let others know your unhappy with your current situation" is indeed a good description of anger, of the function of anger. And indeed it can serve as an indicator for injustices and the like. A very important function. The other point, that you appreciate the anger because of the honestly can also be the case. But both these ways of understanding anger presuppose the objective attitude I described above. These two factors you mention can serve as an indicator, only if the person on the other side (who gets the insults in his face) must make sure he'll respond not by a reactive attitude (and yell back), but by a objective attitude (and see the anger of the person as a symptom of some deeper cause like injustice or just a bad day). If you take an insult personally, you can't really have respect for his honesty. What you describe here, is in fact the next stage of the anger-debate: what to do with (how to react to) an angry person? And indeed here too, you should not just yell back, but look more objectively to the situation and context. So there are two situations:

1) Someone does something bad: (where I was talking about)
- reactive attitude: he's bad person (evil), has no respect, bad character
=> you yell back
- objective atttiude: he just did a stupid thing, lets have a closer look why he did it (bad day, bad childhood, bla bla bla, ...)
=> The problem can be solved
2) Someone is angry at you (he's insulting you): (point made by you)
- reactive attitude: he's bad person, he really thinks you are the insults he says you are
=> you yell back
- objective attitude: the fact that he's angry means something else (he isn't insulting because he likes to insult)
=> you can find the hidden cause of his frustrations (injustice, bad day, or he is just plain stupid)

You did good by mentioning the second dimension of anger, where I only had eye for the first.

Finaly as said, anger in people differs from one to the next,past life experiences can cause people to be less A) patient, more B)defensive,or more C) sensative,,,,Patients ? if your not patient,,you dont wanna wait? surly as human behaviour this can get things done faster
Defensive ..noone can argue that being defensive isnt good for us a human beings,this is a must for all species
Sensative , having this downfall is also beneficial, making you aware of your surroundings ,having the abilty to sense others is essential

You are presenting this as advantages of being angry? Or are you trying to say that what cause anger has other great purposes, so we shouldn't ban it all? (!ban anger)
Whatever you mean, you're right in the fact that "What does not kill me, makes me stronger" (Friedrich Nietzsche) Though, if You want to go further down on this, you have to explain yourself more precisely.

Main point: you're correct in saying that anger might have its purposes (but on the other hand anger alone can not solve a disagreement). You're right too in saying that it's contagious. Angry people make other people angry, insults "breed like rabbits". Therefore one has to respond to anger by an objective attitude, to stop the endless chain.
Tau
ETc| Member

Postby ETc|A^DARKNESS) » 19 Feb 2012, 17:18

You are presenting this as advantages of being angry? Or are you trying to say that what cause anger has other great purposes, so we shouldn't ban it all? (!ban anger)

i would present it as a logical explanation to how we are acting and reacting, key word being "natural instincts"
that force us to think and feel accordingly.
Sure anger has its uses,but isnt justified by our actions, after all its our actions what defines us.
And we are constantly being judged by our actions
The fact is, we are always judging each other, whats right? whats wrong? whos good ? whos not, good music bad music,,nice food ,bad food,
And we all have our own opinions, so as humans we search for neutral answers/definative answers " the right way.
and never yet since humans came to this planet,they find such a place, due to our individuality
which ,individuality is also key to our excistence.
i Never said before,but this word > communication <
this is imperative to success in All relationships all species,
And anger being part of the communication family, as an alien,maybe they wouldnt even see anger as a disadvantage,untill they used it themselfs.
i think also the word "frustration should be in this topic, because its clearly what drives anger,frustration

"In psychology, frustration is a common emotional response to opposition. Related to anger and disappointment, it arises from the perceived resistance to the fulfillment of individual will. The greater the obstruction, and the greater the will, the more the frustration is likely to be"<< last paragraph from wiki.
ETc|A^DARKNESS)
ETc| Member

Postby BaRbWiRe » 21 Feb 2012, 14:31

Tau! (sound of Homer)

:!: :?:
BaRbWiRe

Postby Reefermadness » 24 Feb 2012, 14:13

I didn't have the courage to read all this, just the last response of darkness, which I agree with.

I can only speak for myself, and believe me or not, but I don't get angry at all. Just at my brother sometimes cause he is my brother yeah.

There is 5 fundamental rules of life I have been taught with all kind of martial arts I practiced so far, especially tai-chi.

1. Do not get angry!
2. Do not worry
3. Be full of gratitude
4. Do your duty with dilligence
5. Be good with others

If you can do all 5, I bet you can have a wonderful life

I just wrote that down because the first thing you should avoid here is, getting angry. Anger can only lead to bad things, I don't believe in such a thing as "useful anger", but that's just me 8-)

Oh well, I never was really good with philosophy anyway.
Great shot!
Reefermadness
ETc| Member

Return to Off-topic